Saturday, April 21, 2012

2 vs. 2 Arena: what are we doing wrong?

So my friend and I decided we would give this arena thing a go, he plays a rogue and I play a warlock. He is much more into PvP than I am but I do a few battlegrounds on some nights and on weekends when thare aren't PvE groups going. He is subtlety I am destruction. I know there are better PvP builds than destruction, but I'm not willing to respec just for arena as it is my favorite build to play with, and destruction isn't the worst PvP build either.

We figured rogues and warlocks are pretty feared classes in PvP so together we should do ok in the arena. Well our record is 7 - 13 now and we're getting a little frustrated.

we use teamspeak to coordinate but it seems like once the fight actually begins, things get hectic. We've tried a few different strategies, different pets, different attempts at CC but more often than not we seem to be getting worked.

So far it seems that Blind is working better than my CC as most players have ways of getting out of fear and charm so I switched to using my felhunter from the succubus (my preferred pet). But it seems that before we can get one down, they've both focused on me and I'm dead in 10 seconds.

One thing I think we are doing wrong is we are too defensive and need to rush in guns blazing because once the gates open, he's stealthed so I'm the only obvious target and they go right for me every time.

I'm just looking for thoughts on our composition as an arena team, how well we should expect to do and any tips or strategies we should be using for controling the fight a bit better. Are there any general rules to arena PvP that we should be implimenting like "always kill the healer first as opposed to trying to CC him" or "never wait for them to attack first", etc?|||Does your teammate stay near you so when you are attacked (while he is stealthed), he can help?|||Well he starts out covering me, but if they open up before we call out who's doing what, all hell breaks loose and I'm dead before he can get a kidney shot in. I mean I trust he knows how to PvP his rogue because he spends hours at it every day, so I assumed he's doing everything he can to keep me from getting burned down so fast.|||2v2 is very much based on team make up. Certain teams will have an advantage before the macth even starts due to their class make up. The fact that you have no healing ability probably plays into that a bit. Having a healer can greatly increase your chances of winning.

Don't get frustrated some teams will just have your number as they just can counter your strengths but you will also have that same advantage against other teams. Its just he way pvp in WoW works at the moment. The playing field is by no means equal as it would be in a true PvP game. Since you guys are pure dps and some cc you have to target healers first abd cc any dps until you can get the healer dead.

I run a mage and druid in 2v2 and we are fairly squishy unless he goes into bear form. We work well together but there are some combos that are very difficult for us to beat. We initially got frustrated but now we just deal with it and try our best. Rogue/Pld is an especially hard team for us since rogues are the best anti-caster class right now and pld can basically keep him snare free and can pop that bubble which makes shutting him down impossible for that 10 sec stretch.

If you are new give it a few weeks and you will start to see the changes. As you face new team combos you will start to understand that you have to change tactics on the fly. The more arenas you do the more seasoned you will beome, 7-13 isn't much experience when alot of the guys you are facing have already probably logged a couple hunred arena matches each.|||I play a 2v2 with a rogue also (im a lock). I always run succy for the seduce. Our rogue never goes for sap anymore, didn't work. Most important thing is focus fire. We have different strats for different makeups:

1. Clothy with healer. If the healer is a priest, we'll take him out first them the clothy. If it's a paladin I just cast Curse of Tongues then dps the clothy due to pally bubble. You're just wasting mana if you dps the pally and he bubbles on you.

2. Double Healers (shamans,druids,priests, pallies). this is the hardest groups we have to deal with. CC is your best friend. I do my best to get one of the fear juggled or seduced. If you don't CC one of them, you lose. Basically pick the squish and dps them down.

3. Double Stealthed. this used to be a problem also. The way I counter it is I usually wait 3sec (approx. time a sprinted rogue takes to get behind me) and then cast Howl of Terror. It'll pull them out of stealth and then it's game over. If you're lucky you get both of them. If the Howl of terror didn't work, I'll cast a Rank1 Rain of Fire on myself to keep them out of distance. Usually our rogue will see one by then and then we can start our focus fire.

Other tips:

1. As soon as you pick your focus fire target cast a Death Coil on the other and just keep him feared or seduced. With a rogue you shouldn't be taking dmg from them if one is stunlocked and the other is feared. Even withe destructo spec, cast your DoTs on the feared one just to put some pressure on him. Assist your rogue on first target, then switch over.

Hope this helps.|||Are there any addons that show the portraits of the opponents and their classes in skirmishes?|||Quote:








. Our rogue never goes for sap anymore, didn't work. Most important thing is focus fire. We have different strats for different makeups:

.




Hmmmm..warlock / warrior here..one of us stil gets sappd and its game over a lot...so I wonder why you dont sap.

I REALLY loath stealthies and even hammering iHoT or DC I hardly get out of kidneyshots..mangles or whatnot...|||Quote:








Hmmmm..warlock / warrior here..one of us stil gets sappd and its game over a lot...so I wonder why you dont sap.

I REALLY loath stealthies and even hammering iHoT or DC I hardly get out of kidneyshots..mangles or whatnot...




I've been sapped once. I wait my 3sec and pop HoT. If they arent in range I continually cast a rank1 rain of fire, untill myself or my teammate is able to see him. Rogues can only stand around for so long before they want to attack.|||Whenever i see a healer by himself I assume that a rogue is his partner. I always make a b line with my partner towards him spamming rank 1 aoe and get in combat. This aggressive moves throws most rogues off and they arent able to get a sap off by the time you enter into combat.|||Thanks for the tips, I was able to try a few new things last night. Saccing the voidwalker just before the gates open is a great trick. I also went back to using my succubus.

Dueling each other a few times helped us as well. We were able to show each other our strengths and weakensses which helped us communicate during the actual fights. And before we went back to the arena, I setup keybindings for all my common spells and practiced a few days in normal BG pvp, I had always just used the mouse to click on the hotbar for most of them and just used bindings for my pet commands.

Overall we did much better than our first few attempts so thanks for sharing your tips with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment