Saturday, April 21, 2012

Mounts in the arena

Does anyone else find this annoying? Why do they disable, potions, food and drink but not mounts? Last night we fought a priest and a shaman. the priest came out of the gates on his mount and used the pillars of the arena to kite my rogue partner around and inturrupt all of my casts by getting out of LOS. IMO this is a very cheap way to win. once we decided to give up on the priest and attack the shaman who had been working on me already the priest dismounted and started healing. I admit it is a good trick and we were simply out played on that match, but come on.|||Cheaters! ;)|||Mounts for the most part play a non-factor in Arena's. At least the 150 or so that I have run. I will use mounts only on the Blade's Edge Mtn Arena. I mount up before we start and ride up the ramp to the bridge to get to high ground ASAP.

As for people who use mounts in the Nagrand (circular) arena, with the 4 pillars. I love fighting matches vs. people who charge right at you while mounted. For a rogue (me) and my 70 Hunter partner...I will start just about every Arena, stealthed and sprint immediately over to the other opponents. If they are mounted, quick distract and Sap while my partner has already started on the other guy.

Rex, these are Arena battles, not an old fashioned duel where the opponents fight a "fair" fight. In the Arena you do anything and everything you can to win. Use every single cooldown skill you have. Most importantly use the terrain. You have every right to use whatever obstacles are in the arena's to win. You can just as easily run around or hide behind a pillar like the priest did in your scenario. You can hide under the bridge to get out of LoS of someone on higher ground.

If you think you are going to win Arena matches once you start getting up in standing just by fighting fair, you'll be hard pressed to win many.

I didn't quite understand your post either...You mentioned you fought a priest and shaman, the priest came out of the gates on his mount and proceeded to kite your rogue partner around a pillar. How can a priest kite a rogue around a pillar when mounted? and if the Priest dismounted, I am pretty sure if your rogue partner thought about it he could use CoS at the right time to prevent fear, he could sprint to catch up to the priest so he doesnt get kited. Why wasn't your rogue stealthed in the first place?

I wasn't there to watch your match so I don't know what happened. But just the way you presented your situation, it sounded like the priest was mounted AND was kiting your rogue partner around a pillar. Which makes no sense to me.

Anyhow, best of luck to you in the Arena!|||Sorry, I guess "kited" wasn't the best word to use. We are somewhat inexperienced with less than 50 matches under our belt. Seing the priest we immediately said "get the priest CC the shaman". My rogue buddy was stealthed, but couldn't catch up to the mounted priest to be able to stun or daze him off his mount, meanwhile I got my instant dots on the priest but couldn't do any direct dammage or fear him because he knew exactly what he was doing and would hide behind the pillar breaking my los. When our CC ran out on the shaman we said screw it, get the shaman but by that time it was too late.

I don't expect the opposition to simply stop using mounts because I think it's a little lame. As long as it's coded in the game and not a direct exploit I beleive in the "use anything to win" mentality and I admit we were way outclassed by that team they had their strategy down and knew exactly what they were doing. We'll chalk it up to experience and we'll know what to do better next time.

Did it work for them to win? absolutely. Was it fair? sure I could have done the same thing. As far as using terrain and los, I have absolutely no problem with that, my complaint was more to do with using the mount to break los and run away as a cheap trick which I feel breaks the spirit of the arena.|||Whenever someone is using los around the pillars or other objects in the arenas I just back out and wait it out. Next time you see that happen just hang back by your pillar until the priest dismounts or is forced to ride across the open area of the arena. Just need to have patience against teams that use los tactics otherwise they will just frustrate the hell out of you.

Fight fire with fire, if they are hiding behind the pillars then do the same thing yourself, this will annoy them and force them out of their plan which gives you the advantage.|||It was a tactic that we hadn't seen before, and we'll adapt quicker and better the next time. I didn't have a problem with him getting out of LOS, or avoiding my rogue teammate, just that he was using a mount to do it which just seems silly to me that mounts are allowed in the arenas.|||Hey Rex,

When you play with your rogue partner, next time you run into someone that's mounted like that...if he runs anywhere near your partner, have him use distract while sprinting stealthed. If the mounted opponent comes within 20-25 yards of the rogue, he should be able to distract and sap or CS if that is going to be your first target to burn down. But don't spend too much time on someone who is trying to put up a distraction like that. Hesitation...taking too long to really start pounding on one opponent cause you are busy chasing another is a good way to lose Arena matches. I know this because my rogue and my hunter partner started out the arena's 3 weeks ago with a

0-6 record.

The only real use I have seen of a mount in the Arena's thus far has been to charge the opponent and hope they are lagging and can't see you coming (when in the nagrand arena). In the Blades Edge Arena, I have only seen mounted to get to the bridge and higher ground ASAP. The former has been used against me only a handful of times...I have a decently fast computer, ok graphics card, and a cable modem. But there have still been times when I have not seen a single opponent until I am getting the crap beat out of me. I am at 30-50% health, then all of a sudden I can see my two opponents pop up on my screen. That's about the only times when I absolutely hate having mounted opponents charging me.

Otherwise, if I can see them coming mounted...I welcome it, because whether they have a macro or not to dismount and start casting...it's extra buttons they have to push, giving me more than enough time to start up on them.

In your case, I have never encountered someone who has come in mounted and stayed mounted to try and avoid combat.

Oh...make sure your rogue has plenty of blinding powder. Once I started using blind in the right situations and communicate that to my partner so he wouldn't break that CC...we started winning a lot more.

No comments:

Post a Comment